2009-05-23

Better midi under Linux: Timidity with Fluidsynth soundfonts

I was always disappointed with the sound quality of the midi playing under Linux.
Since I don't have external equipment (at least which fits around here), I had to install a software MIDI sound renderer. I know there is fluidsynth and timidity, and the last one I used before. It had all the time boring plain sound quality.
Yesterday I was playing with Tuxguitar, but it had a terrible quality under Timidity.
I heard before that there are more kind of soundfonts, but while searching it on the Google, there were too few info. Istalled the fluidsynth soundfonts, but nothing happend. Then checked the timidity.cfg again. I've seen more different files in the same directory now, other than the freepats.cfg. Changed config file, and ... it was working, Tuxguitar had a much better sound!

So the process:

apt-get install timidity fluid-soundfont-gm

change to below line in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg:
comment out:
#source /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg
enter:
source /etc/timidity/fluidr3_gs.cfg

No comments:

Post a Comment